Alma 29:9

Alma 29:9 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

First Week in Honduras

Wow where should I begin?
  So in the the SL airport right before we boarded the plane we started talking to a guy, who is currently inactive but served a mission and still says it was the two best years of his life. I don't get how someone can do that. Serve, go inactive, and still say it was the best?In the Atlanta airport we were all beat. So most of us just slept for a couple hours. One of the elders started talking to some guys. Eventually he waved me and Elder Quevedo over, the funny thing about Elder Quevedo is that his grew up in Quebec Canada, and both his parents are from Peru. So he grew up speaking Spanish in his home. Then spoke French to most of the people and studied it throughout high school and then learned English in College and from watching Friends.. What is it with people watching Friends and learning English? Anyway we talked to the two guys from Honduras Ariel and Luis. Ariel was cool and I talked to him for awhile with my very broken Spanish. And he gave my first Limpira haha. So they study music, and I guess have a band.
  Flying above Central America I couldn't see a thing because there were so many clouds. The landing was a little trouble some, but we made it with no problems. President Hernandez was there with open arms to hug each of us. We dropped our stuff off at the mission home and went to get some lunch. That's probably the last time I'll get chicken ribs and shrimp in one meal in Honduras ha. Then we went back to the mission home and caught up on some sleep, and most of us didn't wake up until 8 PM and we found dinner waiting on the table.
  Tuesday we hung out at the mission home for the first day. It is really nice. There is a basketball hoop, a ping pong table, and a swimming pool, unfortunately we're still missionaries so we didn't get to swim. Then we went to the mission office, where we had orientation and then went on splits with the zone leaders. I went with Elder Adams, I think he's from layton. We went to visit a couple of his investigators to set up appointments but weren't able to have a lesson. One of his investigators though speaks really good english so that was cool haha. and I had my first real Honduran meal, eggs and ham, with beans and tortillas. Wednesday we got our companions. My trainor is Elder Lopez. He's from Mexico, but while on the mission he has learned quite a bit of english. so we speak a lot of spanglish. he is really cool, he's been out 20 months now. 
  We are serving in the Valle Verde zone in Ojo de Agua. We have 5 progressing investigators. and 4 with baptismal dates. Alex, Karrina, and Cintia are all siblings. They are going to get baptized on November 19th as long as everything goes right. Ruth is going to be baptized December 3rd. I'm really excited about her because she came to an activity we had Friday night and to church. And Nestor. His family are all members except him. We just started teaching him, but he came to church. He doesn't seem totally committed to it all because he'd rather play soccer than go to church. We'll see, because we taught him about the sabbath day and committed him to keep it holy.
  Everything is great. This really is a whole other spanish haha.
That's it for now.
Elder Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment